Toowoomba Regional Council (TRC) has a vision for a sustainable and integrated transport system that supports livable communities (Toowoomba Region Sustainable Transport Strategy).
To achieve this, the provision of a connected network to encourage people to choose active transport is critical.
The study area for this particular project is identified as a Principal Cycle Route in the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) Principal Cycle Network Plan.
This corridor will link the University of Southern Queensland (UniSQ) with Luck Street.
The project is jointly funded by Toowoomba Regional Council and the Queensland Government.
UniSQ to Luck Street
During 2023, Council had early stakeholder conversations and workshops to develop and assess design options for cycle facilities along Baker Street, Drayton.
From the feedback received and investigations undertaken, Council has developed a concept plan connecting the UniSQ Ring Road, off Baker Street to Luck Street.
The proposed design includes:
- an on-road protected cycle path between UniSQ Ring Road and Platz Street (both directions)
- a shared path for cyclists and pedestrians from UniSQ Ring Road to Luck Street (on the northern side of the road)
- adding in missing footpath connections on (on the southern side of the road) between Platz Street and Luck Street
- UniSQ Ring Road entry (western entry point)
- Concannon College driveway entry point
- on Baker Street, near the entry for The Oaks Retirement Village (to service a new future bus stop)
- on Platz Street, at the intersection of Baker Street
- on Sanderson Street, at the intersection of Baker Street
- on Baker Street at the intersection of Luck Street
This project will be completed in staged manner, the next stage will involve the detailed design of shared path on the northern side, the protected bike lane and raised pedestrian crossings.
Baker Street Bus stop
A new bus stop on Baker Street, on the southern side of the road is also planned. We are seeking feedback on the proposed design for this bus stop as part this concept design, however construction funding and timing for this bus stop has not been confirmed at this point.
What are the next steps?
You have an opportunity to provide feedback on the concept plan which has been developed to help us inform a future detailed design for the project.
You can view the concept plans here
Future funding will also determine the construction timeframes for this project, which may occur in multiple stages over a number of years.