The Soldiers Memorial Hall

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link
Expressions of Interest - Community Consultation Group

Toowoomba Regional Council (TRC) is refurbishing the Soldiers Memorial Hall.

The Toowoomba Soldiers Memorial Hall is a Queensland State Heritage-registered building owned by Council . It was built primarily as a common facility for those from the Toowoomba district who had served and returned from the First World War. Given many from the Region who served did not return from active service, it also serves as a Shrine to the memory of those lives lost.

The idea of erecting a memorial hall in Toowoomba was first raised at a meeting of citizens and returned soldiers held at the Toowoomba Town Hall in 1918. A committee to co-ordinate fund raising and the construction of the hall was appointed in 1919.

It was anticipated that the committee would facilitate construction and furnishing of the hall, which would then be handed to the Town Council, for lease to the Toowoomba Branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia (R.S.S.I.L.A.) ‐ more commonly known as the RSL.

In the same year the Citizens' Memorial Hall Committee purchased the Ruthven Street land in preparation for construction.

The Memorial Hall was constructed in three stages;

  • Stage one between 1923 and 1924, which saw the construction the existing two-storey brick structure facing Ruthven Street,

  • Stage two between 1930 and 1931 was the two-level extension of the club rooms, and

  • Stage three between 1957 and 1959 saw the construction of the Community Assembly Hall, to be used for large social functions, lectures and public meetings.

    The foundation stone was laid on ANZAC day, 25 April 1923 and the Soldiers Memorial Hall was officially opened on 5 September 1924

    Over recent decades, the Soldiers Memorial Hall has seen declining use and the building requires much maintenance and repair. The current structure has been assessed as being in variable conditions but mostly structurally sound. A community consultation group has been formed to discuss topics including:

  • User groups needs and constraints
  • Space allocation
  • Fit out requests
  • Common area uses
  • Catering facilities / requirements
  • Persons with disability requirements
  • Storage needs


For further information:

Please contact Council on 131 872 or email yoursay@tr.qld.gov.au


Toowoomba Regional Council (TRC) is refurbishing the Soldiers Memorial Hall.

The Toowoomba Soldiers Memorial Hall is a Queensland State Heritage-registered building owned by Council . It was built primarily as a common facility for those from the Toowoomba district who had served and returned from the First World War. Given many from the Region who served did not return from active service, it also serves as a Shrine to the memory of those lives lost.

The idea of erecting a memorial hall in Toowoomba was first raised at a meeting of citizens and returned soldiers held at the Toowoomba Town Hall in 1918. A committee to co-ordinate fund raising and the construction of the hall was appointed in 1919.

It was anticipated that the committee would facilitate construction and furnishing of the hall, which would then be handed to the Town Council, for lease to the Toowoomba Branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia (R.S.S.I.L.A.) ‐ more commonly known as the RSL.

In the same year the Citizens' Memorial Hall Committee purchased the Ruthven Street land in preparation for construction.

The Memorial Hall was constructed in three stages;

  • Stage one between 1923 and 1924, which saw the construction the existing two-storey brick structure facing Ruthven Street,

  • Stage two between 1930 and 1931 was the two-level extension of the club rooms, and

  • Stage three between 1957 and 1959 saw the construction of the Community Assembly Hall, to be used for large social functions, lectures and public meetings.

    The foundation stone was laid on ANZAC day, 25 April 1923 and the Soldiers Memorial Hall was officially opened on 5 September 1924

    Over recent decades, the Soldiers Memorial Hall has seen declining use and the building requires much maintenance and repair. The current structure has been assessed as being in variable conditions but mostly structurally sound. A community consultation group has been formed to discuss topics including:

  • User groups needs and constraints
  • Space allocation
  • Fit out requests
  • Common area uses
  • Catering facilities / requirements
  • Persons with disability requirements
  • Storage needs


For further information:

Please contact Council on 131 872 or email yoursay@tr.qld.gov.au